If you have an iPhone or iPad, the below steps will create an automation to tell you the daily unit price for both fuels, looking at historic levels it's about 20-30% savings on SVR unit prices
iOS Shortcut to Get Daily Notifications of Tracker Prices
For anyone interested in being notified of tracker prices, there are 2 iOS shortcuts (which use the Apple Shortcuts app) that you can add to your phone and set up a simple automation that gives you a notification of the daily tracker gas and electricity prices.
Once you add these two shortcuts to your shortcuts app, you can do the following:
1. Click on the “Automations” tab
2. Click the + at the top right corner and select “create personal automation”
3. Select “time of day” which is the first option
4. Choose the time of day (put the time as 10 minutes from now so you can check it works when done and then you can change it after testing) and how often you want it repeated - I chose 8am daily but you can change it any time.
5. Click “next” and in the search bar at the bottom type “run shortcut” and select it
6. Now you will see the words “Run Shortcut” at the top with “Shortcut” written in blue
7. Click on that blue font “Shortcut” text and scroll down the list until you find “Gas price tracker” and then click “next”
8. Toggle off the option which says “ask before running” and then select done
Now you can close the app and if you remember what time you set the automation to run, you can wait until that time to make sure it works and the notification of today’s gas price comes to your phone.
Now you can repeat the same steps above if you want the same automation for electricity daily prices.
By default, the URL used in the shortcut will not be for your region, there is a single letter code for each region, so you will need to open the shortcut by clicking on the 3 dots for each shortcut icon and edit the letter that appears before /daily in the URL to whichever region you’re in.
This is an example of the URL that you will see when you open the shortcut to edit it: https://octopus.energy/api/v1/tracker/G-1R-SILVER-FLEX-22-11-25-A/daily/current/
By default it will say K/daily in the URL, so I changed mine to F/daily as my region is north east of England (if you're in another region, google octopus DNO regions for your code)
If you're still on the fence, these are the gas unit rates from the last 15 days or so. EPG is about 10p a unit, so it's decent savings. Elec is 20-24p
Can switch away at any time so if they go up just come off it for a few days
The UK's most awarded energy supplier. We're doing energy better - for you and the environment.
Above link gives you £50 credit if you sign up. If you signed up already and didn't use a referral you should be able to log in and apply it. Even if you stay on the standard rate it's still £50 less than you would have paid.